Neil Wagner retires from international cricket

The fiery fast bowler Neil Wagner of New Zealand has announced his retirement from international cricket. A 12-year Test career that saw him win the first-ever World Test Championship and play 64 Tests for the Black Caps.

Wagner, 37, made the decision after finding out that he would not be in the starting lineup for the Test series against Australia, which gets underway in Wellington on Thursday, February 29. He will now finish the international match with 260 Test wickets, fifth on New Zealand’s all-time charts, and a strike rate of 52.7. Which is only surpassed by the illustrious Sir Richard Hadlee among New Zealanders with 100 Test wickets or more. He will be cut from the squad prior to the second Test in Christchurch.



Wagner stated that although it had been “an emotional week” and that making the decision was difficult, it was evident that the time had come to move on.

He was cited as saying in a New Zealand Cricket media release that while it’s difficult to leave something you’ve given so much to and benefited from, it’s time for others to take the lead and move this team forward.

Neil Wagner International Cricket

Playing Test cricket for the Black Caps has been an absolute pleasure, and I’m proud of all our team has accomplished. What I will treasure most from my career are the friendships and bonds. I’ve formed, and I want to express my gratitude to everyone who has helped me get to where I am now. I hope that’s the legacy I leave behind. My teammates have always meant the world to me. I’ve always wanted to do what was best for the team.

I want to express my gratitude to my wife Lana for supporting me in becoming the man I am today and for helping to bring our son Josh, as well as our two young kids, Zahli and Olivia, into the world. I’m excited for the guys’ last week of camp and will do everything in my power to support them and help them get ready.

He is originally from South Africa and relocated to Dunedin in 2008 to play cricket for Otago in the domestic league. In 2018, he moved to Papamoa to represent the Northern Districts. In 2012, he made his Test debut at North Sound against the West Indies. Five years later, at Wellington, he got career-best figures of 7 for 39 against the same opponents.

Wagner gained notoriety on the circuit for his remarkable work rate, his capacity to bowl extended and forceful spells on unfavorable surfaces, and his precise bouncers.

Tim Southeethe, captain of New Zealand, stated, “You always knew what you were going to get with Neil, and that was 100 percent commitment to the cause.” He has nothing but respect and admiration in the locker room and would sacrifice anything for the club.

Wagner has stated that he intends to play domestic cricket in New Zealand or abroad again next season and that he will be available for the Northern Districts. 

Comments